In an effort to cut back on unhealthy carbs, “white stuff” (sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, tortillas), I’m trying to find alternatives to some of my favorite foods. I love mashed potatoes. They are a weakness, so when I found recipes of using cauliflower in place of potatoes, I just had to try it. This is my version that I threw together today. Turned out pretty yummy! Just a little different texture and little different flavor, but nothing overwhelming.
I didn’t take any pictures, but will be making it again this week. I’ll add pictures then.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 head of cauliflower
1 tbs of sour cream (plain greek yogurt for a healthier version)
1 tspn of butter (I use Smart Balance)
1 tspn of pepper
a dash of sea salt
shredded low fat cheese
other toppings/mix-ins you enjoy with your mashed potatoes
1. Bring pot of water to rolling boil
2. Add in cauliflower
3. Cook for about 10 minutes
4. Drain water into a colander
5. Use potato masher to mash cauliflower or if you have a food processor puree the cauliflower (I found the mixture to be very watery, so I tripled up some thick paper towels and poured the mixture on that paper towels. I wrapped it up and squeezed out as much excess water, to ensure the mixture wasn’t watered down.)
6. Pour mashed cauliflower into bowl.
7. Add in your ingredients and stir
8. Serve and enjoy!